Monday, November 8, 2010

Blenheim Palace


Visiting palaces would definitely become a hobby if I lived here in England for a long period of time with free time to do so. They fascinate me. When I think about the investment that went into them and continues to pour into them my mind changes and thinks what a waste. When I just enjoy them for the beautiful homes that they are I see the brilliance and beauty that comes with their legacies. The Blenheim Palace is Britain’s greatest palace of baroque architecture. It has been in the Churchill family for 9 generations since John Churchill was named Duke of Marlborough and given the estate for his military service and consistent victories from Queen Ann. Winston Churchill was born in this house, but his family never lived there because his father was the younger brother so his Uncle inherited the estate. It boggled my mind that the entire extended family didn’t live in the palace because it was large enough to easily accommodate everyone with rooms to spare. Old English tradition can be hard to understand at times, but life of a Duke must be luxuriant to wake up in a home like that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment