Monday, November 8, 2010

Halloween

Cookie Decorating

I quickly learned after asking a few people that the holiday of Halloween is not celebrated the same here in London as it is in the states. Where I come from it’s a commercialized holiday that brings thoughts of candy, pumpkins, and fun costumes. In England it is a holiday that represents the worshipping of the devil and religious people don’t take any part in it.

The girls in the house would have none of it and decided to bring the commercialized fun to us. They planned a party and required that we all dressed up in costume. I threw together a pirate outfit from items I already had so it worked out nicely. It ended up being really funny to see the different costumes that people went out and bought or threw together. Four of the girls dressed up as Mount Rushmore and won the best costume award. It was hilarious because they were attached the entire night- I found it to be clever and amusing. We decorated cookies, had a doughnut-eating contest from off of a string, and played mafia. It was an all around great night with my family here in London. 
Pirate Costume

No comments:

Post a Comment