Sunday, November 21, 2010

Oslo, Norway

 

The weekend trip that I took to Barcelona, Spain gave me the travel bug. After that I was pretty set on the idea of traveling more often. A couple of girls and I decided to take off for another weekend somewhere, so we checked for the cheapest flights available. Oslo, Norway won the contest and we booked it for another 24-hour trip.  

 

Scandinavian countries have always intrigued me, and when else am I going to be able to travel to Norway?... Why not go now! While researching the city I learned a few interesting things about the winter wonderland. Oslo is considered to be a global city and for several years it has been listed as one of the most expensive cities in the world. It is pretty cold there, granted because it is right along the Arctic Circle. The Northern Lights light up the sky if you travel to northern Norway and most people that speak the local language of Norwegian are blonde. While I was there I also observed that most women wear big fur coats and fur hats. It could be a fashion trend, but seems to logically be for the purpose of warmth.
 

After getting off the metro stop at Sinsen, it took us a while to find our hostel because it was up on the hill. While we were walking through the snow I felt the crisp bitter cold of Norway set in. Finally seeing the hostel logo on a building was the greatest feeling and we were then able to defrost, get some rest, and prepare ourselves for the packed day of adventure ahead of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment