Thursday, October 14, 2010

Opera Garnier

The Garnier Opera House, a great landmark of Paris, has been entertaining the people of France for over a hundred years. I was excited to see this architectural wonder because I had heard that it was the place that contributed to the inspiration of The Phantom of the Opera. I was trying to cut down on the spending in Paris and almost forwent the interior tour of the opera house. When I went inside I saw videos of ballets, shows, and operas that are performed on the infamous stage. I was sold and knew that I had to take a tour. Looking back on it now, I am so glad that I didn’t miss out on such a stunning concert hall. It was the most glamorous concert hall that I have ever seen. I can only imagine how it would be to see an opera or ballet perform on the stage of the 2,200 seat auditorium.

As one of the girls and I waited in line to purchase a ticket, we made friends with a fellow international student. She was from Germany and spoke English very well. After we all got our tickets she asked if she could go with us through the opera house. We talked and laughed together as we walked through the opera house. I learned that she was studying Interior architecture (Interior Design equivalent) as her master’s degree. She was explaining how in Germany they just changed educational rules and you can only get a master’s degree in the same field of study that your undergraduate was in. Her and I both talked about how that is very limiting on your education and it seems logical for them to want a well-rounded student rather than a one area specific education. Anyway she was explaining to me how necessary it is to get a master’s degree for any type of employment these days. She told me about all of her friends that are now working in large cities like New York, London, Paris, and Beijing. It was fun to get to know her and answer all of her questions about me. Before she left she asked a stranger to take a picture for her of her new American friends. I had him take one with my camera as well.
Friend from Germany

Interior Concert Hall



No comments:

Post a Comment